Mariposario Jardín Mágico in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico is currently recruiting for a full-time Lepidopterist / Insects Biologist. We’re seeking a creative, passionate, highly motivated, and energetic individual to assist in insect care, insect handling, and visitor education as part of a team of talented and staff.
QR Code Link to This Post
Mariposario Jardín Mágico provides a motivating work environment that fosters individual growth and encourages creativity in daily projects. You will work with extraordinary colleagues in an environment where you look forward to coming to work every day. We take our jobs seriously and we also take great pleasure in our work thanks to the team spirit and close relationships among our team. We believe that our success depends first and foremost on our people. That’s why we encourage each employee to learn and grow by continually seeking new and better ways to achieve their goals. Mariposario Jardín Mágico’s corporate culture is based on transparency, trust and mutual respect. Our management maintains an open-door policy where managers are always accessible.
A Lepidopterist specializes in the study of moths and butterflies. Background in biology, zoology, ecology or conservation work is required.
- Day-to-day care of all butterflies and moths on exhibit and behind the scenes;
- Oversee all aspects of the lives of butterflies and moths;
- Rearing of various local species of butterflies and moths;
- Managing Laboratory and Lab Technicians;
- Assistance with a healthy growth of plant nursery and host-plants;
- Conducting research on insects (both living and dead);
- Studying the ideal conditions for moths and butterflies and comparing the lifespan and behaviors of the subjects in the environment;
- Analyze changes in the lifespan and habits of butterflies and moths, while hypothesizing reasons for these changes and testing these hypotheses;
- Maintaining daily record keeping;
- Clean, disinfect and maintain all exhibit and laboratory areas clean and tidy;
- Provide support to Sanctuary Team;
- Check for and ensure compliance with environmental, federal and state laws;
- Assistants, Technicians and Volunteers training;
- Continuing education;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology, zoology, botany, ecology or environmental sciences;
- Spoken English and Spanish is required;
- Interest in insect husbandry and care, visitor and environmental education;
- Computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, internet research, etc.);
- Willingness to handle insects;
- Good sense of humor along with respect;
- Teamwork, cooperation and collaboration skills;
- Great communication, observation, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Positive attitude, time management abilities, flexibility/adaptability, very strong work ethics, along with ability to work well under pressure.